Before becoming Mayor of her hometown of Viroqua, Wisconsin in 2018, Karen Mischel spent 17 years in the Merchant Marine, followed by her current occupation as an organic farm inspector. Tune in to learn more about:
– Her story of growing up on a dairy farm in a small town in Wisconsin, her 17 years of traveling the world with the Merchant Marine, working in the Steward Department and working with food;
– Lessons learned in communication from working on the ship;
– The challenges of managing a rural community with new and old residents;
– Why hard conversations are important and non-violent communication is the key in her community;
– Her work on banning herbicide spraying on public places in Viroqua and on leased public agricultural land;
– Her focus on prioritizing clean water, healthy soil, organic farming, and community health;
– Why educating people in the community should be a political responsibility.
To learn more about Mayor Karen and Viroqua go to https://viroqua-wisconsin.com.