Aug 2nd, 2022
Dr. Julie Guthman is a Professor of Social Sciences at the University of California, Santa Cruz. Her publications include four books and over forty articles in peer-reviewed professional journals. In 2017 and 2018, Dr. Guthman received fellowships from the John Simon Guggenheim Foundation and the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study. Tune in to learn more about:
- Her book “Wilted: Pathogens, Chemicals, and the Fragile Future of the Strawberry Industry” and her interest in researching highly toxic soil fumigants;
- The history of the strawberry industry in California, in particular the conditions of plants, soils, chemicals, climate, and labor that once made strawberry production so lucrative but now are threats that jeopardize the future of this industry;
- Solutions for reducing chemical use on strawberries;
- Her new research on how Silicon Valley is trying to transform the food system;
- Her future book that will focus on solutions.
To learn more about Dr. Guthman check out her faculty page here.