Tammi Jonas is an agroecologist, farmer, mindful meatsmith, agrarian activist, author and academic with a focus on ethical, ecologically sound and socially-just food system. Tammi is the President of the Australian Food Sovereignty Alliance and the founder and owner of Jonai Farms and Meatsmiths, a 69 acre farm in Eganstown (Australia), where together with her husband, she pasture raises happy, tasty, heritage-breed Large Black pigs. Tune in to learn more about:
- The story of how, as a vegetarian, she decided to start a farm and raise Large Black pigs;
- Capitalistic industrial agriculture vs. ethical small family farms;
- Why rebuilding the local food system within communities can revitalize local economies;
- Australia’s efforts to use less herbicides in comparison to the US;
- Female leadership in agriculture;
- The grassroots work and programs of the Australian Food Sovereignty Alliance.
To learn more about Tammi’s work go to http://www.tammijonas.com.
Photo Credit: Richard Cornish